Batter Fried Fish
- 3/4 - 1 lb boneless fish fillets (tilapia, cod, perch, walleye, etc) -we used tilapia
- Oil for frying (safflower, peanut oil, non-hydrogenated shortening are all good)
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour ( or any gf flour mix)
- 1 cup cornstarch (or leave out and decrease liquids)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 - 12 oz gluten-free beer or club soda (~12 if using cornstarch. Add slowly to ensure proper consistency)
- Start heating oil in a fryer or deep pan. Heat to about 365F
- Mix all dry ingredients thoroughly and then stir in the beer or club soda until a thin batter is formed. Batter should drip off the fillets when dunked.
- Ensure oil has reached 365F
- Dip fillets in the batter and then carefully place in the oil. Fry until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per fillet.
- Scoop out cooked fillets and place on paper towels to drain. Serve hot.