I did change the recipe a bit to make it dairy free as well. That didn't seem to affect the taste or texture at all.
- 3/4 cup Brown Rice Flour Mix (see below)
- 1/4 cup Sweet Rice Flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon milk (or any milk substitute, I used almond milk)
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 5 slices
- 1 large egg white (or 2 small)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Brown Rice Flour Mix
- Brown rice flour (extra finely ground) 2 cups
- Potato starch (not potato flour) 2/3 cup
- Tapioca flour 1/3 cup
1.Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Position rack in center of oven.
2. Mix brown rice flour mix, sweet rice flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt in large bowl of electric mixer. With mixer on low speed, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture is crumbly and resembles coarse meal. Put mixture into a small bowl and set aside.
3. Beat egg white in the same large bowl of electric mixer until very foamy. Add water, milk and flour mixture all at once, and mix at medium-low speed for 1 minute. Use lightly floured hands to pat out dough into a large 3/4 inch thick round on lightly floured surface. Cut out biscuits with a 2 1/2 inch round cookie cutter. Press dough scraps together and repeat.
4. Place baking sheet on center rack of oven and turn oven temperature down to 400 degrees. Bake 15 - 18 minutes or until medium golden brown. Serve immediately.